Thursday, October 20, 2011

My Life Story (Part 1): The Early Years

Hey everyone, my name is Christopher Chou.  I am currently 22 years old and working in the State of California.  This is my first attempt at a blog or anything related to it of any sort, so please bear with me as I stumble along the way in the blogging world xD  I would like to thank you guys ahead of time for taking the time to even drop by this website.  I hope you will be able to learn something or something about me, or just simply leave entertained.  So... let's get things started, shall we? :)


I was born and raised in New Jersey, the Garden State.  Yes, Jersey Shore.  That state.  Honestly I never knew anything about "Jersey Shore" until people kept asking me if I was from there.  The only thing I know about the shores of New Jersey is that they are dirty as heck lolll :P  Based on what I do hear about the show, however, it sounds as if it gives New Jersey a bad name.

Jersey Shore Cast

First time blogging, so... this is about the point where I insert a random, crazy, but somewhat related picture to catch the reader's eye right?  First Jersey Shore picture from Google image, let's see...   Oh gosh, looks like a bunch of tools, dbags, and drama queens.  No wonder people be hatin' on NJ lols.



St. Mary's School

So yeah, I grew up in a town in New Jersey called Rahway.  Rahway wasn't on Camden or Newark's level of dangerous, but it was still bad enough for my parents to send me to attend a private school called St. Mary's.  Believe it or not, friends, but I'm not lying when I say I attended a Catholic school from Kindergarten to Fifth Grade.  You guys are probably asking yourselves how I ended up being the way I am today even though I went to a Catholic school haha.



It was not easy growing up attending a Catholic school, though not because of the schools methods in a bad sense.  The environment there was nothing short of spectacular, and I still have fond memories up to this day of when I was there.  It was, however, because of the protective nature of the school and its ways that acted as a barrier which shielded me from the evils of the outside world.  Everyone in my class, everyone in my school was nice and friendly to one another.  What Jesus replied as the Second Great Commandment in Matthew 22:39 of the NIV version of the Bible was executed in the best way possible, almost to perfection: Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.


Roosevelt Intermediate School
 Although St. Mary's went from Pre Kindergarten to Eighth Grade, my family decided to move from Rahway, New Jersey to Westfield, New Jersey after Fifth Grade in the Summer of 2000.  I was to attend Roosevelt Intermediate School, my first public school, and boy was I surprised.  Up to this point in my life, I was a pretty outgoing kid, and was able to make friends with anyone and everyone I met.  So of course, moving to a new town wouldn't be a problem right?



It wasn't until I attended middle school that I found out how cruel, evil, mean the outside world and people could be.  Whether it was getting made fun of because I wore glasses, or for being fat, or just being pushed and tripped in the hallways, middle school life was tough and was one to forget for sure.  Funny thing is that it was in middle school where it hit me that I was different, that I was... Asian.

No, I was not one of those white washed Asian kids, nor was I oblivious of the fact I was Chinese.  In fact, starting in kindergarten, I attended a Chinese School every Saturday morning.  Yeah, I went to school 6 days a week >.<  I'll touch upon my Chinese School later on in this entry, but for now, back to the middle school aspect.

You would think that I would have noticed being different earlier in my life, but truth be told I didn't have that problem at St. Mary's because of the Catholic school aspect, even though I was the only Asian in my class for many years.  But in life, there must be a balance.  I guess you can say that I suffered more difficulties in middle school because of my ethnicity than most Asian kids.


Me in Middle School

Needless to say, I didn't have many friends during middle school.  It was during this time where I digressed from my outgoing nature to a stereotypical "quiet Asian kid" one.  Of course, I performed decently well in school so I was also referred to as a "nerd" or a "genius", you know, more typical Asianness.  The few friends I did make were very important to me, even though the common public would probably refer to them as being the, lack of a better term, the "rejects" I guess of the school, which would include me of course.  I failed to mention that my new town, Westfield, is a Jewish town where most families are pretty well off, which is pretty much completely opposite of my previous town, Rahway.



Okay, it's getting late, I'm getting tired, and I need to wake up for work tomorrow.  I will continue my boring life story in the near future, :P ace

No comments:

Post a Comment